Did you know 1 in 5 people will suffer a mental illness this year?
• The World Health Organization predicts that by 2020 mental illness will be the leading cause of disability and the second leading cause of death in first world countries.
• Every Australian will know a family member, work colleague or friend who will experience some form of mental health condition.
• Mental disorders are the leading cause of sickness absence and long-term work incapacity.
• The annual cost of mental illness in Australia has been estimated at $20 billion, includes the cost of lost productivity and labour force participation
• Nearly 50% of all Australians experience at least one episode of mental ill health in our lives
By wearing a Hat on National Hat Day, 9 October 2015 you are shining the light on mental illness and helping to reduce stigma.
• National Hat Day is committed to raising urgently needed funds for mental health research.
• Many leading young mental health researchers will miss out on the funding they need for research.
• 100% of the money raised on National Hat Day goes directly to fund PhD Scholarships and Research Project Grants aimed at finding preventions, treatments and cures for depression, anxiety, schizophrenia and many other illnesses.
• Since National Hat Day kicked off in 2011, $600,000 has been raised for mental health research.
• National Hat Day occurs each year on World Mental Health Day - the second Friday in October.
• National Hat Day 2015 will also shine a light on the prevention of mental health in the workplace.
• Hat Day is funding research to prevent mental illness in the next generation of young Australians before they enter working life.
• National Hat Day is an initiative of Australian Rotary Health, one of the largest non-government funders of mental illness research in Australia.
Hat Day is on Friday 9 October 2015 to co-incide with World Mental Health Day and Mental Health Week.
It is easy to participate in this event … wear a hat … and donate to research!
Visit www.hatday.com.au to register a Hat Day FUNdraiser event and invite your friends, family and collegues to join in and to donate generously on your fundraising page.